Knife attack puts France on edge

France will remain on its highest level of alert, a government spokesperson said on Wednesday, one day after a man with a knife attacked soldiers guarding a Jewish community centre in the city of Nice.

Two soldiers were lightly injured in the attack and the alleged attacker was arrested along with an accomplice. France has been on the highest alert level since terrorist attacks in Paris last month left 20 people dead.

President Francois Hollande called for an extension of the high alert level during a regular cabinet meeting, spokesperson Stephane Le Foll said.

France has deployed more than 10 000 troops to guard sites deemed to be sensitive, including mosques and synagogues, and authorities have unveiled measures to curtail ideological radicalisation, including at schools.

The three gunmen who carried out the attacks in January were all French, and they claimed allegiance to international terrorist networks in Yemen and Syria.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s